Tuesday, May 27, 2014

3rd week in Argentina!

Wow can't believe it's been 3 weeks. So much has changed these 3 weeks! It's safe to say i've finally settled down. I work 4 days a week for the NGO and have finally created the website. Furthermore, I've been working on advertisement campaigns to solicit donations from the community. The NGO I work for primarily deals with helping the people of an impoverished neighborhood on the outskirts of the city called "Vista Alegre". My job is to help raise awareness and create good publicity for the organization. So in addition to advertisements and webpages, I've been able to be on Argentinean television with my beloved host mom and director, talking about the needs of the people there. We also have a radio program every Thursday night where I was able to talk about my experience in Argentina and working for the NGO. It's been absolutely amazing.

Besides work I've been going out (of course) and meeting tons of new people! Just yesterday I went to my first salsa and bachata dance class with a close friend and it was so much fun. It seems like everyone knows how to dance here; I'm totally jealous. Although I'm just in my 3rd week out of the 8 weeks i'll be here, I feel like time is flying by! I don't want to leave!

I've been making travel plans to visit the beach, the mountain range, different big cities etc... I've only got 5 more weekends where I can travel and see everything I can.
Yesterday I got an internship offer from an NGO in Mendoza, the beautiful mountain range, famous winery area in Argentina. The only problem is I don't have enough money to pay to change my flight, living costs etc... As much as I'd love to stay an extra 6 weeks, it's just not feasible right now.
I know I will be back someday though! For now let's savor these moments as much as possible. :)





4 comments:

  1. Diana,

    This sounds awesome. I am interested in South American culture, and I believe that the work you're doing is very crucial. How did you decide to look into this internship? What got you here?

    Also, what do you think are the biggest challenges in gaining support/donations? I've done similar work for my religious organization, as Director of Fundraising, and sometimes I think it's hard to reach out to people to spread awareness for an important cause. What has been the most effective way to do this? Hope everything continues to go well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argentina is one of the number one places I want to visit. It's really great that you get to spend some time there learning to dance and meeting people but also doing good work for the community. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so awesome that you are able not only gaining experience at work, but also emerging yourself in the Argentinian culture

    ReplyDelete