Friday, May 30, 2014

Getting Started

This summer I am interning at the Chicago Reader newspaper and I can already tell it's going to be a great time.

The Reader has had a presence in Chicago for a while now. Known nationally as a leader in alternative press, it covers a variety of culture, food, arts, politics and news. The latter two are the areas I'm working though I've been told I'll get the chance to try my hand at the other topics as well. 

The way a Reader internship works is the interns are somewhat "on-call" for whatever the staff need help with- research, data entry, brief blog posts (as shown here: http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2014/05/23/readers-agenda-fri-5-23-teen-witch-adam-carolla-and-the-53rd-ward-after-dark). However, interns are also highly encouraged to team up directly with senior staff members and help them on their projects. They really encourage the interns to find a mentor to learn from and work with.

So far I've already gotten to contribute to the work of Steve Bogira, an amazing writer who has done a lot on the Chicago Public Schools. I did research for this article about the new Obama College Prep. High School coming in the next couple years (http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2014/05/30/obama-college-prep-site-in-doubt). I'm in the middle of other research as well and I'm starting to learn that the bigger projects are where the fun is. The Reader has a staff that loves to think outside the box and I'm witnessing first-hand real journalism pro's at work.

My goal is to start writing for the blog soon once I'm a little more settled and get a better feel of the paper's tone. I'd recommend you check it out, it's a different vibe than your classic New York Times or Chicago Tribune and I think it gives the writers an extra degree of freedom. 

This internship, as told to me by the hiring staff and confirmed from my experience so far, is a "get out what you put in" arrangement. I'm looking forward to getting more invested in my work their and seeing just how much I can learn this summer.

2 comments:

  1. I just checked out their website and I'm glad I did! I'm also interning in Chicago this summer. I'm not from here, so I definitely could see myself returning to the Chicago Reader's website to learn more about what is going on in the city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicago is an amazing city, and I am so excited for you! It seems like your job is so much fun, and you should definitely continue to find mentors! Make the most of your internship because it will teach you so many things! What is your major by the way?

    ReplyDelete