Friday, May 23, 2014

This week, I began my internship at ICM partners in New York City.  ICM is one of the world's leading talent agencies.  They have offices in LA, New York and London and represent some of the most famous and influential people in our society.  My first morning, I was extremely nervous as I walked to the office which is located in the very prestigious Crown Building on 5th Avenue in New York City.  However, I was immediately greeted by a friendly receptionist and the human resources woman who hired me; my nerves subsided.  The agency has many different departments-literary, reality tv, concerts, film, branded entertainment-the list goes on.  I am in the literary department.  I am working in a room with nine other interns however, each of us is working in different departments.  I believe this enhances the experience because although we are all specialized, being in such a close proximity we still have the opportunity to learn about each others fields.  Although some of my colleagues were assigned one specific mentor, my job is to help the entire literary department.  This is a pretty big job seeing as ICM partners is home to the biggest literary agents around.  I am constantly receiving company wide emails about best-sellers that we represent.  Although the agents are generally incredibly busy, I have had the pleasure of meeting them all personally and telling them about my life goals and admirations.  This week was very overwhelming, and I am still unsure of what my job description will fully consist of.  So far, I have been reading manuscripts from potential clients who are seeking representation.  I feel like I have a lot of responsibility because, if I say a work is bad, it will be thrown in the trash pile and nobody else will ever read it.  Essentially, I could be ruining or making somebody's career.  I had a great first week at ICM.  I am so lucky to be surrounded by a group of smart and ambitious fellow co-workers, we have a great time working in our intern room.  Furthermore, all the more senior people in the company are extremely friendly and eager to answer any questions I might have.  I love dressing in my business clothes each morning and coming to the beautiful office building.  I can't wait to see what the following weeks have in store for me :)


3 comments:

  1. This sounds like such an amazing opportunity girl! How did you get involved with ICM and what's your major?
    Also, it does seem like you have a huge responsibility and although it's difficult bearing the thought of rejecting someone, I'm sure you'll do great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome that you get to read manuscripts! If they're good do you pass them along to other interns or agents?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Diana, I also would love to know what your major is? ICM sounds like an amazing internship, and New York City is amazing!! Make sure to explore Times Square, and I can't wait to hear more about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete