Sunday, May 25, 2014

First week completed!

So I've completed my first week on the job. It was a bit weird because the other interns I'm living with hadn't moved in yet so I was living along in Pittsburgh. I had a lot of time to wander around the city and explore.


This is the PPG building. I work on the second floor.


On my first day, I showed up, got a tour and an ID and was shown to my desk. Then my Editor asked me exactly what I was hoping he would: "We have a story here, would you mind making some calls to see what's up?" So I got right to work, within the hour, being a journalist and being treated like any other reporter. And the story, which was kind of light, ended up on the bottom of the front page nonetheless, which is pretty cool.  I also got to write a side bar when Pa. struck down the Defense of Marriage Act. I was there when the couple received the phone call that it had been struck down and that the state recognized the marriage they had gotten in Maryland. Then I got to interview them! It was a little scary driving the company car, though. I had never driven in Pa. really and just sort of winged it with a GPS.


By Tuesday, I will have already written four stories, all published. Next week, I hope to be in court writing some crime stories. And I'm still doing some research about a long-term investigative piece to write as well.


1 comment:

  1. Aw this sounds awesome! Is the location of your internship near your home?
    Sounds like your getting some great work done!

    ReplyDelete