Wednesday, September 3, 2014

CEO for a Day

If I was the CEO of Unearth the World, I would expand my reach of students wanting to volunteer and also add more locations to volunteer at. What was nice about working at a start-up company is that my ideas and my goals overlapped with how Unearth the World wanted to be structured, so in a way I made changes that a CEO could make. For instance, Kathryn had wanted to pursue more college kids to volunteer and being a college student I knew social media would be the best venue for this. So I discovered GiveGab, a social network for volunteers, and we made an account with them. We are the only international option on the social media so far so it's a big step in that those who are interested in international volunteering will only find us as if we are some type of monopoly.  Kathryn in general did a great job in knowing what she wanted in the non-profits we worked with and it reflected her own personal trip in only working with organizations that are communal and meet a required need. I would continue to keep true to these virtues as CEO. Kathryn is currently pursuing more college students which I would also pursue as CEO, aiming at partnering with universities to be spring break options, but I would also pursue more high schools as well. I studied abroad in high school and although the maturity wasn't there at times, I feel that I learned as the days passed and with the proper training I feel many high school students could be prepared enough to successfully volunteer and accept a different culture. So in a sense I would expand into a younger age group and combat issues of lack of maturity through training. I think many high school students would love such opportunities, especially before they head of to college and that makes it even more valuable to grow as a company. I would also highly consider partnering with another volunteer placement agency that had different locations to volunteer at than those offered by Unearth the World. I would first make sure that their goals align with Unearth the World's and I feel that both companies would benefit from a partnership because in the end the purpose is to volunteer and improve a community. Lastly, as CEO, I would open chapters at universities and clubs at high schools that students that are service minded and wanting to volunteer can join. I am currently in the process of starting a chapter at UM so in a sense being president of this club is like being CEO of part of Unearth the World, but through growth and expansion I would make it a popular club to join in high schools and universities and I'd stress students to fundraise for trips and make appearances at schools to talk to people and inspire them to try and pursue a volunteer trip.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Ghaith this sounds amazing! It is great that you worked at a Start Up company and helped shaped it; not many people are able to do that and it must be really amazing to gain some knowledge and skills for the future. I really liked how as a CEO you would reach out to more volunteers. Volunteering is a great way to learn more about one's self, give back to others, and learn about other cultures, and if you expose more high school students to volunteering, they may be able to learn more about themselves and learn more about the different social identities out there (helps the world be more knowledgeable about social justice as well)! I really liked your ideas and I hope you have had a wonderful semester!

    ReplyDelete