Friday, September 19, 2014

Inside the ER: EMRAP Round 2 (Environment)

After coming back from a hiatus from EMRAP, I realized how much I missed being in class and being at work with my fellow EMRAPers. The environment does not seem to too different as similar faces are still around the Emergency Department. I feel as though the ER is more welcoming now because I am recognized by some nurses and doctors. I often chat with a nurse named Bill about life or about interesting cases in the ER that I’ve missed, and he always comes up with some witty answers. Though, one thing I do need to work on is to be more confident and to build a network in the ER; I still feel intimidated by doctors—maybe it’s their white coat or maybe the fact that they always look so busy.

As for diversity, it’s very interesting to note the demographics of the ER. At first, I always thought that there was a majority of white people in the department, but I have seen different races as well! They often celebrate each other and learn from each other by bringing food and sharing them with everyone. My favorite event was when some nurses brought in different snacks for their meeting so that they can experience each other’s food and learn some bit of culture. Also, the people in the ER are hilarious and are talented! The other day I witnessed some doctors singing in the break room, and when one couldn't sing, he just started to dance. It was very entertaining, and I realized that little moments like that are what keeps the long days very short for medical staff. 


In terms of surroundings, our classroom use to be in this one room where it was always cold. We always had to fix the temperature every time! However, there was a day when our room was occupied, and we needed to have class at a different room. This new room was more spacious and less cold, and maybe because of this change, we seemed to participate more in discussions and other activities. Also, because we have gotten to know each other for some time know, class seems to be more fun! People are more talkative and are willing to get together outside of class! People have intellectual discussions, which is a great way to learn and also broaden one’s horizons. I’m really glad to have this internship because it serves as a break from my classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment