Friday, December 12, 2014

Looking Back/Overall Insight


 University of Michigan has prepared me for this internship by giving me a quality education.  My supervisor has had me spell-check some of the employees reports for errors.  During my courses at the University of Michigan I believe we have uncovered the errors of our society as well as produce solutions we think may help alleviate the problem.  I feel this is a step beyond what other Universities may do in just analyzing the problem itself.  This problem solving approach generated by theUniversity of Michigan has helped me to have a more proactive mind-set.  My liberal-arts education has helped to develop my reading comprehension and writing skills.  I believe these two skills are particularly important to be a successful attorney. 
There is one major event that I have found particularly interesting.  I have had the opportunity to sit in on a week long trial.  I had faith in the jury to make a decision based on evidence, science, and the law.  However, in my opinion, the jury decided on a terrible verdict without any basis on the case information, but rather with their personal opinions towards the counsel.  This was very discouraging and disappointing to me.  I was under the impression a jury would uphold their civic responsibility and serve the public but this did not seem to be the case whatsoever.  As an individual that wants to practice law I learned a big lesson in that courtroom over the week.  Now I understand this may not always be the case regarding jury verdicts, but I was astounded in their decision, considering the judge’s verdict was the complete opposite.  

Note: This blog does not reflect the thoughts/opinions of the Ohio Attorney General's Office 

No comments:

Post a Comment