Monday, August 4, 2014

5. Looking Back / Overall Insight

Looking back at the past two months working at a record label, I certainly took a lot away from my summer internship. I know much more now than I ever did before about how a label operates and where a company like Atlantic Records fits into the music industry. The summer has helped to narrow my focus as I look ahead towards future work experience and potential career choices.

I had hoped to get a real foundation for the music business by observing the different positions and roles within a company like this. Working in Radio Promotions gave me a great perspective to learn from. Just as beneficial was the marketing competition where we formed groups with interns from various departments. Being able to see what other departments were working on and actually develop a marketing plan from scratch made the group project even more valuable.

I came out of the summer with more knowledge as well as an idea of where/if I see myself in this business. Working at a music management company next summer could be a good comparison from another perspective. The transition to digital music and the takeover of streaming services is changing the business models of many of these labels. I think it is important to be conscience of the adapting industry as I get closer to graduating and looking for a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment