Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Looking Back/ Overall Insight at New You Magazine

During the school year, I don’t really think about or realize how much University of Michigan is helping me to succeed in the future. I kind of just go along each day completing my school work diligently without truly realizing the benefits of this education. However, as I approach the end of my internship, I have really begun to realize just how well the University of Michigan has prepared me thus far for the real world. The work ethic I have during the school year at Michigan has continued during my internship. I try my best for each and every task I have been assigned this summer and this great determination is partly because of the demanding academics at Michigan. Michigan has taught me that nothing comes easy in life and I have to work hard for everything I earn and in order to succeed.


My liberal arts education has helped me tremendously during my internship. Working for a magazine as a communications major has given me the tools and ability to help the magazine grow and become better. I have been able to write well due to the opportunities to practice during my courses at school, and I also know all about marketing due to what I learn in my classes. During some of my communication classes, we learned how to attract audience via social media, and I have also used that knowledge to help New You social media accounts grow even further. Additionally, I didn't really think that being knowledgeable in all different areas, such as humanities and science, would personally help me, but I have realized the importance of understanding those subjects as well in the real world. Fortunately, I am on my way to completing a biology minor, which has also helped me greatly at my internship. I have been given the responsibility of writing blogs about health and science-related topics, and I know that having this background allowed me to complete these tasks.  My internship has really given me the opportunity to grow and learn from others, and I now realize even more just how fortunate I am to be able to attend the University of Michigan. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree that a liberal arts education instills work ethic that is beneficial in the work place. The PR and magazine industries are heavily intertwined, and having knowledge of marketing and diligence are essential to success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree! When you work on your academic studies, you tend to lose sight of how school work correlates to the work force. Working at my internship allowed me to also see how Michigan truly prepares us for the real world!

    ReplyDelete