Monday, August 25, 2014

Overcoming Obstacles

To be completely honest, I’ve been a little disappointed in myself in terms of the amount of work I got done.

The Reader allows interns to pitch stories as much as we’d like but they still need to be up to the Reader’s standards. I found pitching to be incredibly hard. Not only is the Reader a weekly paper, meaning they don’t do breaking news like a daily newspaper, they are also alternative, meaning there is a different voice and tone to their stories from the typical news story.

I had trouble getting a hold on both sides of this. Because I’m an intern, I wasn’t able and didn’t have the time to do a full feature of any kind but because it’s a weekly paper I also wasn’t able to just do the quick breaking news write-ups an intern might do at the Sun-Times, for example. Additionally, when I did turn in work it was usually cut up pretty good because I wasn’t used to the writing style. Actually, after talking with Mick, it turned out that I was trying too hard to match the style and it was harmful to the clarity of my writing.

Mick and I talked about the work I was doing and he said that my reporting was still solid and that’s what was important. I’m still proud of the few clips I did write, they are indeed solid bits of reporting and I learned a lot in the process of putting those stories together.


In the future, I think I’m going to just go with any idea I have and not tie myself down with trying to find perfect ideas. I’ve learned that editors are very receptive and happy to help adjust an idea into something workable if you give them a starting point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment