Sunday, August 24, 2014

Looking Back at Lionsgate

This summer my role as the Corporate Communications & Investor Relations Intern at Lionsgate was exciting and educational. For me, the most valuable aspects I took away from it were the connections I made and the insight I gained about the entertainment industry. At first I was kind of bitter about being the only intern placed in the corporate department, but it ended up being a great thing. I familiarized myself with some pretty powerful people in the industry and learned about all aspects of business from TV, film, distribution, marketing, and the list goes on. It opened my eyes up to many positions that big companies, and in particular studios need to function. Looking back I wish I could have taken more advantage early on of my surroundings, because initially I was intimidated by everyone. It was a real pleasure working for Lionsgate because of their high-energy environment and dedication to grow the company.

While talking to other colleagues I often asked why they thought working at Lionsgate is better than other studios. Most responded with size of the company. While Lionsgate is a big company with 600+ employees across 3 office locations, it does not come close to the size of other companies like FOX, CBS, Universal, or Disney for example. Most other studios are huge corporations with intricate bureaucratic structures making it difficult to feel like you are really making an impact on the company in such low positions. My colleagues also expressed the challenges and politics of larger companies.  Overall I learned a tremendous amount while interning at Lionsgate and while I don't have the experience to compare it to other companies, it seems like it would be a great  place to work one day.

2 comments:

  1. My dad worked for a large company and I completely understand what you mean by the challenges of politics within the company. It is nice to see that you met powerful people in the industry and it will definitely help in the future to network and gain more insight. I also think you gained a great deal of insight on how things function and it will help you greatly if you pursue something similar in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amina, sounds like you did a great job even though you were the only intern in your department. I worked with someone this summer who previously worked for Lionsgate and I know she loved it and learned so much. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete