Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Week 6/Final Week at CBS

Being CEO for a day at such a large and respected company such as CBS would be extremely difficult. The CBS station that I had my internship is also called KFMB because it oversees CBS 8, Jack FM radio, and KFMB 760. Being the CEO would require me to be in charge of all three branches, all three of which are very different. Although this would be a difficult job, I believe I could handle it if I had experienced each side of the station. The first thing I would do if I was CEO would be to unite each branch. Although all three branches are under the same roof it is still easy to feel as if they are all their separate stations instead of working together under one company. When I am in the newsroom I rarely see radio people come in and during my internship I have only been to radio two or three times. I think it is important to understand what your coworkers are doing, what their passions are, and what the big stories are for them this week.

Overall, CBS 8 is run very smoothly and professionally and there is not much that I would change. I really enjoyed my internship and I now understand what I do and do not want to do with my career which I believe is the most important thing that I learned from this experience.

It is hard to believe that my internship is over as it feels like I just started yesterday. I am so grateful for the experience and and for everything I have learned along the way. Over the course of my internship I watched a new set be built from start to finish in which I helped design, an anchor had a new child, and many small, yet important transformations. This internship showed me what happens behind the scenes of a news station and what the audience does not appreciate.  I cannot wait to see where my next internship will be and what my career path has to offer.

The new set

Getting ready to go out in the field



1 comment:

  1. It's good to see that for the most part you wouldn't change a lot. I like your idea of bringing the three branches closer together. Even though they are separate entities it makes sense to create a tighter collaboration. Apart from giving what you discussed above, the branches could help each other by pitching ideas to each other and helping out with reporting.

    ReplyDelete