Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Looking Back/Overall Insight


I think one of the biggest things I didn’t expect, but found that the University of Michigan prepared me for, was the high expectations my employers had for me. Going into this internship, I expected that I would be participating in pretty much “interny” type things. However, I soon realized that the tasks I was completing were the same types of jobs that my coworkers were doing. Instead of intern tasks I was actually doing publicity coordinator tasks. Initially I was flattered that they held me to such high standards, but when I first started to make minor mistakes I got frustrated that they expected so much from me. I figured that if I was an intern they shouldn’t expect me to perform like a paid employee. But when I finally got over the frustration, I realized that the experience I was getting as an “intern-like-coordinator” was far greater than the experience I would have gotten purely as a “classic intern.” I think that the University of Michigan really prepared me for this because I feel like Michigan really holds us to high standards. I successfully learned to utilize the resources around me and asked for help at the appropriate times in order to stop making the same mistakes over again. Looking back at my internship experience, I would have been so incredibly bored if I was doing what one would think of as a normal internship. I have gained such great life experience from this summer internship and learning to overcome frustrations and difficulties has only helped me to grow as a person.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you that Michigan better prepared me for my internship than I could have ever imagined! Im glad you had such an incredible experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found that the skills I acquired from the University of Michigan could actually be applied while working at my internship! That's great that you had such a great experience and were given similar tasks to your coworkers rather than the usual "intern" type things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you felt prepared, and though it was stressful at times, got to do work like the other full time employees. It's great you were able to learn so much, and didn't just have the stereotypical intern experience of making copies and going on coffee runs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Michigan has helped me so much with my internship on getting prepared! I was nervous of course, but I know I had the skills I needed to succeed.

    ReplyDelete