Monday, August 11, 2014

Utilizing What I've Learned

Work at the Los Angeles Kings Sales and Service Department has been quite slow over the last few weeks. After the initial chaos that ensued following their Stanley Cup Championship came to a halt, the type of work coming into the office was far from paramount. Aside from a few important tasks, the quality of work I've been assigned to do could be classified as "stereotypical intern work." However, regardless of this misfortune, I have also learned quite a bit. For example, this past week, I was asked to compile and organize thousands of pieces of paper into the LA Kings Season Recap. As uninteresting and tedious as this was, my other task for the week proved to be a bit more captivating. I was to reach out to countless organizations in order to request a potential donation to the King's community program "KingsCare." As negligible as this may seem, communicating effectively with these business owners was an asset I acquired after countless attempts. Overall, though it may appear that my work remains the typical intern work you would think it does, it also has its great advantages. And you can best believe that regardless of how minuscule these acquired resources and skills are, I will be utilizing them in the future to their fullest ability.
The Toyota Sports Center, home of the Los Angeles King's practice arena. Located next to my office.  

Where the magic happens...the intern desk. 

1 comment:

  1. Jason I think this alternation in your tasks was to be expected- though it may not have been necessarily correct. It's positive that you see the value of the less interesting tasks, because this is what keeps you motivated to do your job. And like you said you will use what you learned at some point down the line. Your phone call reach outs sound interesting especially considering that you were calling to seek help. I imagine that you learned how to be patient in this process, as trying to persuade someone to help in this situation could be tiring at times. I hope it worked out well for you.

    ReplyDelete