Sunday, August 17, 2014

Blog Post 1: First Week Impressions


My first week at Best Brains was quite a learning experience. I’ve worked with kids before, but being thrown into a situation where over 50 kids are coming per hour and are asking questions, throwing tissues on the floor, and/or screaming is quite overwhelming. It was a difficult transition, but now that it’s over I wouldn’t change it. Working and educating children requires one to be adaptive in all situations. That is a lesson I learned on my first day at Best Brains. One of my duties was to coordinate the summer camp program. I needed to balance the academic aspect of the camp and keep their motivation and spirits high. It isn’t until you sit in a room with 20 kids do you realize how short their attention spans are. But it was here that I realized that achieving my goal of understanding how to communicate wasn’t going to be easy; but also that it was a skill that I was going to have to master as soon as possible. But the kids were amazing, and I began to form connections with them. I look forward to the lessons that they are going to teach me. I also got the chance to get to know the teachers during the first week. At this time, the business only had 3 teachers. During some of our heart to heart moments I got a chance to learn about their life, and they taught me how to relate to the kids but also be a disciplinarian. I am excited to see what is going to come in the next several weeks. I hope that I get to continue learning from the people I’m surrounded by (regardless of their age), and hopefully I can impart some knowledge on those around me. After all, we are all interdependent!

2 comments:

  1. This seems like a very interesting experience. I have worked with kids before at my high school, but never a number as large as 50. It will be interesting to see how you found individual relationships with 50 kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working with kids can be incredibly fun but also incredibly frustrating. I wonder if you'd agree that the number one trait you need to deal with kids is patience?

    ReplyDelete