Monday, August 18, 2014

CEO for a day

                  Time Warner Cable was an amazing company to work for and I was extraordinarily lucky. The offices were beautiful, the people could not have been nicer, and I was constantly learning something. Unfortunately everyone at Time Warner Cable is on edge these days due to the upcoming merger with Comcast and Charter. As a Human Resources associate, I was in the dark as to who would be keeping their jobs, and what job positions would no longer be available following the merger. Because Time Warner Cable is such a large company, the CEO rarely has time to individually reach all employees and instead has hosted a few “ Town Halls,” meetings broadcasted throughout all Time Warner Cable offices and work field locations. If I were CEO I may take more time out of my day to enter the field and directly communicate with employees. This may allow the employees to understand the uncertainty, rather then feel like they are in the dark when it comes to merger information. Enter the call centers, take a ride with tech ops, and walk into the marketing offices. Just to show my care for all Time Warner Cable employees, rather then generalize.

                  Overall, it is very difficult to scrutinize a company that is about to endure such a tremendous change. Working for Time Warner Cable was such a learning experience, and I am so grateful to have worked for the company.

3 comments:

  1. I must have been living in a cave because I had no idea this merger was even happening! So first of all, thanks for the info. Second, even though I'm sure everyone was on edge, this must have been a cool time to intern and watch the company begin to transition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no clue that Time Warner Cable was merging either! I think its a great idea to be more collaborative and engaging with those working in the fields so that they aren't only less confused but also feel the difficulty it is to be going through such a process. I think it is cool though to be interning at this time and seeing change happen before your eyes. But the difficulty in making decisions pertaining to this, especially cutting workers and positions, must be extremely difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, what a great company to work for. I am sure your experience of working for somewhere that is going through a merger will be something to talk about at job interviews in the future.

    ReplyDelete