Monday, August 25, 2014

Looking Back

My education at Michigan really helped me during my internship. I am a computer science major and I learned how to code during my time here. The skills I learned in school were therefore, vital for my internship.  Unfortunately, the programming languages, which were being used by the company, I was working for I was not familiar with because I had been taught to code in Python and C++ at Michigan. My internship required me to use C# and SQL. These were languages, which I was not previously familiar with and therefore had to teach myself how to code in these languages. However, I found that the Michigan had provided me with a good basic foundation through which I was able to pick up these languages fairly quickly and easily and be productive during my internship.


Another issue I found was the my internship was fairly unstructured in the sense that I found myself having to ask for more projects or work or give my input without being prompted. I found that the confidence I had because of my liberal arts education at Michigan during which I am constantly encouraged to air my thoughts and ideas.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like even though you had not been taught how to code with the languages used by your internship, you managed to use your resources and previous education to figure it out. That is really cool! I felt similarly in that I sometimes had to remind my supervisors if I was not working on a project so that they would give me something new to work on. I kind of get the sense that that is something many interns go through.

    ReplyDelete