Sunday, August 31, 2014

CEO at Lionsgate

I had the pleasure of actually being able to meet and interact with the CEO of Lionsgate. It was amazing to watch how we worked. He has a very creative and strategic mindset that has allowed him to build Lionsgate into the company it is today. I can only imagine how much stress he is under all the time and wonder if that is something I would ever want in my life one day. He does a great job and really seems to care about his employees and the company.

On the other hand, if I were to be in my boss's position, as the SVP of Corporate Communication and Investor relations there are a few habits I would change. First off, he is an extreme control freak and has a hard time accepting help and delegating work to others. He does not work very efficiently, which ultimately creates a lot of stress for him. He often puts in really long hours and stays at the office late into the night. He recently hired two new people to help him out with his tasks, but he just can't seem to trust anyone else with his work. On the flip side, everything he produces is great quality and been super important for the company. Since I do not have much to compare my experience to it is hard to point out what else I would change. I learned that it is very important to have constant and clear communication, praise employees when they have done a good job, and treat everyone you work with in a professional and respectable manner.

3 comments:

  1. Lionsgate sounds like an awesome internship! It is great to hear that the company CEO cared about his employees and the company. I think you're very right about having a more relaxed attitude-- this helps everyone feel more comfortable. Otherwise, congratulations on completing your summer internship; you should be very proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that interning at Lionsgate sounds like a fun summer and I'm sure you gained a lot from it! I alo agree that having a relaxed attitude is key, but also being able to put trust in people is important and if he doesn't seem to trust them then I would take them under my wing and show them how I like things done so that they can eventually develop the skills to produce the same work and allow the CEO to be stress free and more engaging with other aspects of the company. Congrats on finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing that you were able to work at a company as great as Lionsgate! I definitely agree that it must be so difficult to be the CEO of a company, especially one so well known. I too am unsure whether or not I would even be able to handle such long hours, and to rely on others to help me complete tasks that are so important to my own company.

    ReplyDelete