Monday, August 25, 2014

Getting to know my colleagues

The environment in the Chicago Reader's newsroom is pretty quiet. People come in and do their work without a ton of interaction between each other. It's odd, it's a stark contrast from the Michigan Daily newsroom where people are chatting all the time. It's probably the result of having so much content and such a small staff at the same time; there is constantly work to be done and quickly. 

Still, the staff was very receptive to me and was eager to have me be involved. I worked most closely with Mick Dumke, a senior writer who I think I’ve mentioned in previous posts. While I always had to be proactive in asking for new opportunities, Mick was always willing to get me involved and have me pitch story ideas.

Throughout the internship, I got to know Mick and the rest of the staff much better through the Chicago-wide media softball league. The Reader plays once a week against teams from the other news organizations in Chicago (the Tribune, Wall Street Journal’s Chicago branch, NPR, etc.). It was a great way to connect with the staff outside of work and made it easier for me to approach them when we were all back in the office.

The Reader actually held an intern lunch where we could pick the brains of the staff about journalism as a profession. As plenty of people know, journalism is a rapidly changing industry and there are some grim opinions about the future prospects for young writers. The staff very honestly told us about their low pay and tough hours. However, they stressed that they love their jobs and said if we feel the same way that we should absolutely pursue a career in journalism.


It was very helpful to hear from the staff and talk to them so candidly about the job. I’ve learned that if I do choose to go into journalism, it will be a lot of tough work and that I have to be very dedicated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment