Saturday, August 2, 2014

Friends made during the internship

I've written about the job experience, but I also wanted to write about the friends I've made here, and enjoying the city. I came in thinking this would be all work and no play. But that was far from the case. I was able to make friends that I think I will have for life.

My friends at Michigan are all very different from me, and that's fine. They don't read books, read comics like sports in the way I do, or care about journalism or writing. These kids at the Post-Gazette do. They care about writing and getting better, read at night instead of watching bad television. It's been amazing living with such like-minded people this summer. I'm a better person because of it.

Here's a picture of them:

That's me on the end holding up a "#1" like an idiot.

The other day, my editor took us to this little taco stand that no one really knows about, not tourists anyway. It was hot and they spoke poor English. Plus, they didn't want their picture taken (I wonder why). Here's why I got:



I've been to five pirates games too. The ballpark is right there, and they're above .500 so it's been fun to keep up with them even though I'm a Cubs fan. Here are the company seats:


I got so sun burnt at that game, but such is life. Totally worth it.

Lastly, during the world cup, I watched in Market Square, which is this European-style like square with restaurants and stuff. Here's a shot form the game USA lost in:


So yeah, it's been hard work, but the fun I've had after work and on the weekends has been just as valuable.

5 comments:

  1. Dude this sounds awesome. I think one thing a lot of people think is that they have to work all the time, in order to truly grasp the full learning experience of an internship. But not at all. There's nothing wrong with making friends and exploring the city. Those are the things are just a part of life. Good to know that you're taking full advantage of this opportunity, inside and outside your work space! Good luck with the end of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! It is so nice that you made so many friends and will be able to share a network in the future. It sounds like you had a great and valuable experience at your internship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing what an incredible experience you have had during your internship. I think that being able to relate to other people who have the passion for the same things that you do is special and gives you the chance to learn and grow off one another. Thanks for sharing what you have done outside your internship because that's just as important and adds to the overall experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like you really enjoyed your experience this summer! It is so great that you made so many valuable relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's awesome that you've had time to explore the city outside of work! I think that working as a journalist in a new city is the best way to get to know a place, and the people that live there!

    ReplyDelete