Saturday, August 16, 2014

CEO for a day at New You Magazine

As I end my internship at New You Magazine, I feel I am really fortunate because of how much I have learned and the amazing experienced I have had. There would not be too much that I would change if I were CEO for a day and in charge of running this company since the company runs pretty smoothly. If I were to change a few things, I would definitely rearrange where the employees for our team sit because everyone is pretty spread out. This definitely has an impact on how we are able to communicate with one another and does make it difficult at times to do so. However, communication is a crucial in order for a company to succeed. For instance, the managing editor’s office is in an entire different building. Because of this, sometimes it would be difficult to reach her if she was not at her desk and available to answer her phone, and if I went over to the building, sometimes she would not be there. I also felt like I constantly bothered her more than necessary because I had to call her more often whereas I was able to just go over to my other coworkers desks instead when necessary.


Additionally, there were not many team meetings where we would have the opportunity to catch up on all of our assigned work and projects and brainstorm ideas as a team. If I were in charge, I think I would establish weekly mandatory lunch meetings where everyone comes together as a group to discuss and update one another on everything. This would give us the opportunity to suggest ideas. There were definitely times throughout my internship where I had certain ideas I wish I could discuss with my team, but didn’t get the opportunity to do so.  The CEO’s of the company do a phenomenal job and I am so lucky to have had this experience!

3 comments:

  1. Those are some great additions! It is very important to have open communication! Having closer areas or related departments near each other can be beneficial because it allows for faster and efficient communication. For instance, in my internship, I would have to walk to a different building to see my supervisor, and it can be frustrating when they are not in their office and you just walked for a long time or you have something important that you need to communicate. I feel that well-arranged department spaces is essential for a good and efficient company. Also, lunch meetings are really important to catch up on things or else sometimes information can be missed! Even if it is just 10 minutes, a little interaction can go a long way in terms of finding solutions and brainstorming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessie, sounds like you learned a lot this summer at your internship especially the skill and importance of communication which will help you with future jobs! New You sounds like a great company!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely really interesting to explore the way a newsroom or magazine office is organized. At The Tennessean we have a pretty good lay out, and the people I need to communicate with are close by. But I do think that our office environment would be better off if we didn't have cubicles. I think they're pretty limiting.

    ReplyDelete