Friday, August 8, 2014

Looking Back

I began my education at the University of Michigan in the theater department. While my classes were somewhat related to costumes, everything revolved around the technicalities of design and less about creating a history of the character the costume was for. Working with Courtney has allowed me to really see the role of the designer rather than learn about costumes in a textbook. Because my experience with costumes was non-existent prior to college, I was an outsider in the theater community. In a way, this helped me approach my internship with Courtney. I knew straight off the bat that there would be an innumerable amount of things that I knew nothing about. But unlike my experience in the theater department, I asked more questions and desired a greater knowledge of the things I didn’t know. On a separate note, working in Detroit made it easy to find UofM alumni. One of the producers on the movie actually went to UofM. If anything, just going to Michigan allowed me to connect with certain people that I normally would not have connected with as a costumes intern. The University of Michigan is an excellent education and I think that as an intern I was respected more because of it. 

3 comments:

  1. UofM definitely can help with forming connections! I went to New York this past weekend and someone shouted Go Blue to me as I walked by; it definitely taught me that no matter where I go there probably may be a UofM alumni somewhere! Great job on using your skills and asking questions! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using where you go to school as a conversation starter is a very easy and successful way to establish a connection with someone in the field. It's also great that you are not afraid to ask lots of questions throughout your internship! At first I was nervous about asking too many questions, but I soon realized how much information not available in textbooks or through a Google search I can learn by doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too had very little experience with the field of my internship prior to college. It's great that you had this opportunity to gain more knowledge about a field you knew pretty little about!

    ReplyDelete