Friday, August 15, 2014

blog 5


Since this internship has been fairly writing intensive, I am happy to say that my liberal arts education at Michigan has done very well to prepare me for this internship. My first year writing requirement taught me how to organize my thoughts when writing essays, and my prerequisite for my English major taught me how to write efficiently, without repetitiveness. That being said, persuasive essays are very different than news reports. I had to learn how to take my opinion out of my writing. Where I am used to adding words/phrases like “therefore” and “that being said” when I am writing about literature, I had to make an active effort to be more precise in my writing. Also, much of my English courses are avoiding plot summary, where news writing feels like it is just that. Either way, it has been a trial and error process which my editors have helped me with a lot. That being said, without the basic writing skills I learned from Michigan, I do not think I would have been able to do it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Margo! I agree that Michigan has definitely helped prepare us in a good way for our internship and out of school life. However, like you, there were definitely some tasks at my internship I had to go through trial and error processes a couple of times to figure out how to do those tasks. I think that although Michigan definitely helps prepare us for our work world, we also will learn a tremendous amount while on the job and through experience too. Good luck with the rest of your internship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way about my writing skills. Without them I don't think I would have been able to do my job as well as I did, and have felt so comfortable so early into my internship.

    ReplyDelete