Saturday, August 9, 2014

Inside the ER: 12th Week at EMRAP

Hi everyone,

This is my second to last week before I go to ResStaff Training and leave my internship for about 3 weeks.

Looking back on my internship, I realize that UofM has taught me several skills to help me tackle obstacles in EMRAP. From my Animal and Human Physiology classes, I learned how certain hormones can affect the body. This knowledge helped me understand the diagnosis of the doctors, and the concepts helped me ask more questions about parts of the diagnosis that were not taught in class. Moreover, from my Development Psychology class, I learned that one must talk to the elderly in a certain way such as looking them in the eye and talking closer to them. When I needed to interview a patient for a survey, I used this knowledge in order to communicate with the elderly patient! From my other psychology classes, I learned certain coping mechanisms, and it is very interesting to realize in person that some people use these mechanisms.

Also, in classes such as Anthropology and English, I have learned to engage in discussion. Before UofM, I often kept quiet because I did not know what others would think of my ideas. In my college classes, discussion sections graded participation, and so, I learned how to share my ideas and to not fear being criticized. I used this skill during our EMRAP class discussion about an article. I realized that I have come so far from the quiet girl I was in high school.

Also, from being a part of ResStaff at UofM, I have learned to communicate and listen to people. With these skills, I am able to talk to patients who are waiting at Results Pending and converse with my fellow Research Associates.

Moreover, without UofM's resources, I would not have known about this internship! The pre-med advisors sent out an email with details of EMRAP, which led me to apply and interview for the program!

Thank you UofM for everything that it has provided me!

1 comment:

  1. It is really wonderful that University of Michigan has influenced your summer so significantly. I cannot say that my classes or course content has played a huge role in my own experience this summer. However, I can definitely relate about the usefulness of your ResStaff experience in your ability to communicate and listen to people you work with. While I did not work as a ResStaff at Michigan, I believe that my group work and extra curricular activities have given me similar skills. I have worked with people of all different skill levels, backgrounds, and personalities at University of Michigan. These interactions have helped me understand the most effective and efficient ways of communicating and working with all sorts of people. I was able to be professional and respectful in the workplace, thanks to these skills!

    ReplyDelete