Sunday, August 17, 2014

Looking Back/ Overall Insights


I think that the writing skills I have acquired and developed as an English student as well as my involvement in SHEI fashion magazine on campus have attributed to my success at my internship.  In terms of my own personal familiarity to social media and my role as social media chair for my sorority, my skills and knowledge in that realm were extremely valuable.  I think that the communications department at Michigan could benefit by offering more social media related courses to students.  A course I took this past year on American Journalism was extremely valuable because the class educated me on catering to a specific audience in my writing. My boss, Michelle, articulated that while it is important for individuals to have good writing skills, it is equally important for writers to cater to the voice of the magazine.  I completely agree. My own voice in my writing is very different then the voice of Who What Wear. I realized that you have to be able to adapt to their needs in order to excel.

1 comment:

  1. That is a great lesson to learn. I know nothing about publishing/journalism/etc but it seems like that really important in that field. And you got to experience that in class and then real life. Thats always a cool situation to be in.

    ReplyDelete