Sunday, August 24, 2014

Looking Back


Michigan is definitely an academically rigorous school, which worked to my advantage in general. But, the main thing I found surprisingly difficult to work with was Excel (of all things!). I started on Excel and eventually moved on to Google spreadsheets for the main project I was assigned this summer, and I have to say it got a little stressful at times. Being the only person working on this specific assignment, I’m glad I get to take all the credit for myself, but that also meant I didn’t want to mess things up. I know that it’s going to be presented at a corporate meeting eventually (probably after I’m already back at school), and based on results SoulCycle is going to adjust their marketing strategy. It’s cool to know that something I’m responsible for can have that much of an impact, but at the same time that means it really has to be perfect. Fortunately, it went really well and my boss told me my work and analysis were excellent, which was so gratifying. As my internship comes to a close, I’m happy to say that I really feel like I accomplished something this summer. Although there wasn't always a ton for me to do, at least I finished something that will actually help the company. Managing time and stress at U of M overall definitely made me equipped to manage my time and stress level as an intern, and the two experiences definitely built upon each other nicely. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an interesting point you make. The level of difficulty that is set at U of M is what was beneficial, rather than the specific classes required in the liberal arts education. Have you ever used Excel in any of your classes at Michigan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had to use Excel this summer, and was taken aback by how much harder it was than I thought it would be. Some of the things that appear to be simple, are actually extremely difficult, when you are attempting to figure them out on your own! It's great that you were able to work through the struggles to feel accomplished in the end.

    ReplyDelete