Monday, August 18, 2014

Inside the ER: 13th Week at EMRAP

Hi everyone,

During my last week before my ResStaff training, I spent some more time with my fellow EMRAP classmates and chiefs. Instead of our regularly scheduled class, we went to Gallup Park for a picnic, where we played games and ate the food that we all brought as a potluck! It was great having a break from our usual routine; the picnic was a great opportunity for us to learn more about each other outside of the hospital setting.

Also, during my last week, I worked a 4 hour shift on a Saturday and a 12 hour shift on a Sunday (I needed to make up for my shifts that I missed when I went to New York). I was very disappointed when I did not have any patients to consent. I was hoping that during these particular shifts I would fulfill 2 more consents to be considered independent; instead, I practiced a mock phone interview consent in preparation for a phone consent which will be administered by the University of North Carolina (where two of our research studies originated). Honestly, I thought that the shift should have been more involved, and so here are a few things that I would do if I were the Director of the EMRAP program:

First off, there is no CEO of the program. We have a Director, who works closely with our chief research associates, that shapes the curriculum and activities of the program. From this summer, I have truly enjoyed our Friday classes because we have heard stories and presentations from doctors and social workers. The classes helped show different aspects of the medical field and trained us on the rules and regulations of clinical research. As a Director, I would keep all of the activities that we have done so far, but I would also add more opportunities. For instance, I would have connected with the University of Michigan Hospital and arranged a field trip for the students; I would give them an opportunity to view the anatomy lab and take a tour around the medical school building. I also would have arranged for surgeons from other hospitals to come and talk to us about their work.

As a Director, I also would have arranged the shifts differently. I would have had rotating shifts per week rather than set shifts for the whole summer. Yes, we had enough time to shadow the doctors during our shifts, but those who had weekend or morning shifts were not able to see interesting cases.  Having rotating shifts would have allowed the students to see multiple cases and to experience the environment at different times. Also, I would try to acquire more research studies for students to do because I feel as though the research that we currently have do not coincide with the cohort or the community that the hospital is based in. Moreover, I would try to connect with other hospitals (not so similar to St. Joe's) so that students can have more interesting shifts. Different hospitals have different types of people and different cases; the EMRAP students might see the typical abdominal or headache pain at St. Joe's, but they might see a unique case at UofM Hospital. Last, I would try to shorten the hours for EMRAP students' shifts.

Though as a Director (with unlimited funding and unlimited power, just for giggles), I would give all the EMRAP associates different types of clothing to represent the program. I would give them hoodies, jackets, scrubs, etc. I also would give a stipend to the research associates because they do spend quite some time at the ER and deserve to be compensated; I would also give a stipend or a fellowship to the chief associates to allow them to create their own research! I also would provide them with cars or limos or jets so that they can arrive to their shifts quickly!

Even though I would change some things, I am really grateful for the experience that I have had! I have learned several aspects from my co-workers and the medical personnel! I do enjoy going to my shift and interacting with patients and medical personnel at the ER. I also enjoy the classes that I have been attending. Thanks EMRAP for showing me a great time this summer! I cannot wait to continue my internship experience in the fall semester once I am done with ResStaff training!

Sincerely,
Roxanne



No comments:

Post a Comment