Sunday, August 17, 2014

Blog Post 3: Getting Adjusted/ Overcoming Obstacles


As previously discussed, becoming adjusted to my situation was an ongoing process. It was a daily process. It was a lengthy process. I have never been in a position where my actions and my skills were going to play such a pivotal role. Every time I sat down with a student, I had to understand that there was a quantifiable result that needed to be achieved. That put a lot of pressure on me to operate at a level that was going to fulfill that expectation. But then, there was also the other component, parents. The parents are just even more invested in the quantifiable result that the desire their child to reach. And if there are any shortcomings the whole problem relies within your teaching skills. So sometimes I feel like I am consistently looking over my shoulder, and that someone is also looking over mine. Its an added pressure, and my largest obstacle. However, I talked to the teachers at the center about this, because if anyone can sympathize and counsel it’s a teacher. They told me that I needed to be confident in my skills, but also understand that the pressure also lies with the student. I can impart as much knowledge as I want, but if the student isn’t also receptive to the information then they aren’t going to achieve their goal. I’m hoping their advice will help me navigate through this obstacle.

1 comment:

  1. This blog post offers an interesting perspective. I had not yet considered the parents motivations and desires in the teaching situation. Although you are under more pressure in this week, I believe that the added pressure with improve the skills you need for the internship.

    ReplyDelete