Monday, August 18, 2014

Overcoming obstacles


Towards the middle of my internship, I started noticing a different kind of tired feeling than when I’m just in school. I’m working 9-5 Monday-Friday, which I’ve never done before. I wanted this kind of schedule in part because I knew I had to fulfill a certain hour requirement for this class, but also because I wanted to spend as much time as possible working at SoulCycle since I would only have half a summer to do so. Fortunately as an intern, I don’t really have to deal with super high-stress situations, but I’ve noticed that working this much can really drain my energy. At the same time, I want to be just as lively as everyone else at work. Just being able to talk about my day with family and friends really helps and as an employee, I can take SoulCycle classes for free to help clear my head, which is great. Sometimes staring at a computer screen all day gets a little monotonous, but this whole internship definitely is a learning experience that I am very grateful for. As I go forward in the working world, I’ll be glad to have a better sense of how much I can handle.

3 comments:

  1. It is a completely different kind of tired working a full time job than being a full time student. I'm glad that you had this experience to show you how much you can handle now, but I'm sure it'll only increase as you become more experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ariana, I totally relate. I've been exhausted, and something about working an office job under these fluorescent lights in front of a computer can really drain the life out of you! I too have turned to doing some exercising in order to clear away the monotony and feel like a human again! It's awesome that you get to do it through work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is an odd contrast from the day-to-day at school. I've noticed that I don't have the energy at the end of a work day that I would at the end of a school day. Where I might be up for hitting the library in the evening in Ann Arbor, all I want to do in Chicago is lounge around.

    ReplyDelete