Saturday, August 16, 2014

6. CEO For A Day

My internship at Atlantic Records ended on a great note. I was able to work for / attend a concert for Chris Martin from Coldplay. The one hundred person club was a surreal venue to watch a performance from one of the label's biggest artists. This was a fantastic way to end my experience this summer.

If I were CEO for a day, there would be a few changes I'd like to try. I think a culture that makes people want to come to work each day is crucial and there are several ways to enhance the culture at an office such as Atlantic. This office does have a inviting environment but there is always room for improvement. One thing I noticed was the office is not as organized as it could be. Inventory of promotional items, CDs, etc. is not accounted for and stored in an efficient manner. Finally, I'd try to strengthen the brand of Atlantic Records. While they have many big name musicians from Ed Sheeran to Wiz Khalifa, Atlantic itself has potential to develop the reputation as a label to attract more artists.

With that being said, CEO Julie Greenwald does a great job and presenting our marketing plan to her was a rewarding experience. As CEO, I would definitely keep the marketing competition that the interns work on throughout the summer. Not only did I learn how to plan an artist's album release, but also winning the competition didn't hurt.

1 comment:

  1. I think you worked at Atlantic at a really interesting time for record companies. With the increasing use of the internet for artists to promote themselves it is interesting to see where the future of record companies lies. I think this is perhaps part of what you are saying with regards to strengthening the brand. Do you think Atlantic has been affected from a lack of branding or the rise of independent outlets?

    ReplyDelete