Thursday, August 21, 2014

CEO for the day

Having finished my internship at Center for Family Services, I have learned so much about how non profits run successfully. If I were to be CEO for the day, however, there are several things I would like to change. The organization is very large, which is great because it can impact the lives of more people. With the size, however, the organization lacks a sense of unity in my opinion. If I were in charge of the organization, I would focus on creating unity among all of the programs under the umbrella of CFFS. I found that people in one sector of the organization were not entirely sure what was available in other sectors. I would make sure each employee was very well-versed on all aspects of the organization. That way, if someone came into one center asking for a service that was available somewhere else, the employee would be entirely prepared to direct them correctly. This sense of unity would also extend to a more human resources perspective as well. It would be great if employees of the organization felt more connected to all of Center for Family Services and not just their specific office. I would also increase the PR for the organization as a whole. I think once someone is aware of the organization, they do a great job updating their Facebook page and sending out frequent emails. However, so many people in the area have never heard of Center for Family Services and therefore are missing out on some services that could really benefit them. I would increase ads in the newspaper and commercials that outline the vast amount of free programs available to families. By increasing the appearance of their logo and programs, more people can be affected by all of the great programs they provide. By increasing unity within this fragmented organization and working to advertise the services available, I believe Center for Family Services could reach its true potential.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karly, I also felt like the different departments where I worked could have benefited from learning more about each other. Not only does it create a better sense of unity like you mentioned, but it also makes employees within different departments appreciate what another department does either for them or the organization as a whole. Your idea about creating more awareness is great, because it is unfortunate that people could be receiving help but don't only because they don't know it exists. I imagine the difficulty in increasing advertising for a non-profit is budget concerns, but allotting more costs to advertising definitely sounds worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete