Friday, August 15, 2014

Blog Post 2: Getting to Know My Colleagues

      At this internship I am totally meeting people who can serve as possible mentors. My two bosses, absolutely. They are older, wiser, and have so much experience in a field that I am so interested in. First of all, something we learn at Michigan, one way to be successful in life is having good connections. Both of my bosses are great guys to know. Both are well connected with the Music Industry in Seattle.  I asked one of my bosses what I would need to do to follow his footsteps. He said that he got to where he was in a much more interesting way than others. He started off working for some medical firm but lost interest in that soon after. Then he came up to work at a music museum in the heart of the city during the recession. Because it was the recession he made himself known, taking tasks that other people would shrug off, and volunteering to do anything at any time. This totally paid off for him at the end. He mentioned that that’s how you should go about making it big in any job. He also mentioned that you shouldn't limit your skill set, if you know decide to break your main skill into sub-skills, you won’t go all that far. Make sure you know every skill that makes up some bigger skill. I haven’t gotten around to asking my other boss what his career path was, but I hope to get around to doing it. 




2 comments:

  1. What an interesting boss! I actually really appreciate his path. The reality is that we don't all know what we are going to do and what our passions are, and its great that he has been able to funnel his passion into his work. That itself isn't an easy task. Your boss sounds really awesome and connected. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds so nice that your work environment and experience was comfortable enough to remain in contact with men who seem like they could be so helpful and such great mentors to you in the future. It's so nice to be able to complete an internship of such interest to you!

    ReplyDelete