Monday, August 18, 2014

Post 6: CEO for the Day

Hey All,

This past Friday marked the end of my summer internship at CONAN, which has been one of the greatest experiences of my life.  We shot two episodes on my last day, which was a bit hectic but a great and exciting way to end my experience.  Overall my experience at CONAN has been nothing short of perfect.  The people I have worked with have all been so helpful and welcoming from interns to staff members and it was especially hard to say goodbye to them even though I only spend three months there. 

It is hard for me to find too many things I would change about Conaco (CONAN’s production company.  One thing I might change if I were CEO is the amount of interns hired in the summer (which is upwards of 30) as I think it is overwhelming for the staff to deal with this many bodies.  One thing that could be done to make the amount of interns seems less overwhelming to the staff without cutting intern positions would be to split the distribution of interns among the different departments.   One way to do this would be instead of having a majority of interns work in General Production, I would have a couple of production interns shift to different departments for a week or so in order to give them specialized experience in a multitude of areas from Talent to Wardrobe to Post-Production.  I think this would be both beneficial to the staff and would provide interns with a well-rounded experience.

All the best,


Kathleen  

2 comments:

  1. That's so exciting to have been able to experience the shooting of those episodes! I have friends who work in the IT department at Michigan that also have dealt with overwhelming amounts of student workers and they solved this by splitting the distribution of students which worked out really well. I think its a great suggestion to make and it allows for interns to feel like they're part of a smaller community and feel more comfortable in engaging with each other! Congrats on finishing the internship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really interesting that you'd split up the interns between different departments: that's how we do it in the newsroom, actually. Each intern is assigned to a specific editor who gives them assignments and is in charge of helping them out with different pieces. I think that structure fosters a really good work relationship between the workers and the interns!

    ReplyDelete