Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Changing Perspectives

It's no secret that as time passes, people grow and mature into different forms of who they once were. When I began this internship I struggled to affectively communicate and immerse myself fully among my coworkers and boss. But as the summer progressed, I began to discover my place in the office and understand how to perform my responsibilities affectively and fully.
Before my summer began, I had conceived expectations of what I would be doing during my internship. After my first day had come and gone though, I soon realized that the next three months would not go according to plan. Although this was unexpected, it turned out to hold its own advantages. I wasn't getting lunch with my coworkers everyday nor was I contributing significantly to the company's future. However, I was learning, and that is really I could've asked for this summer. This internship really was all about an introduction...an introduction into a desk job, cubicles, 9-5 days, and much more. Walking into that building for the first time, I was terrified. I carried with me this overwhelming pressure to prove myself worthy of the job I was so luckily handed. Everything I did had to be done with the upmost precision and to its fullest extent. But as time progressed, I stopped trying to impress everyone with my diligent work ethic, and did my work the way I always do. It seemed like the more I thought about things, the more prone I was to screwing up. Looking back on it now, I wish I could've saved myself the stress, but the learning curve didn't take too long. Those days are long gone and so is this summer and everything that it has taught me.

1 comment:

  1. I actually had similar thoughts at my internship this summer. It can be really hard to know how much time you want to devote to getting settled and becoming comfortable before you start taking risks and pushing for more serious work. Hopefully this summer will give you the confidence to jump in sooner at future jobs/internships.

    ReplyDelete