Monday, July 28, 2014

Blog 2, Mentoring

Luckily for me, I had the opportunity to gain a promotion within the first week of my internship. I was given the opportunity to fill the position for an employee who was soon to be leaving the company. It is an entry level, right out of school position, a position that would most likely be my first job position. I was given the opportunity to sit with this soon to be leaving employee and train directly with her. This allowed for a great mentoring opportunity. Ashley, this Employee, talked to me about how she got started, how to move up, and the various keys to success within the human resources job field. Ashley was  kind, easily approachable, hard-working, and in my opinion an excellent person to work with and learn from. In addition to Ashley, this new job opportunity allowed me to work next to many people whom I felt were around my level. This led to me learning the best ways to obtain a job in the HR field. I learned the importance of a Master’s degree in order to find a job, as well as the various majors that would be best to pursue. This new opportunity is what allowed me to find mentors and learn such valuable information regarding this field of work.

3 comments:

  1. Katie, that's awesome! I think that just shows the beauty of our market. You never know when new opportunities will arise, but when they do, there's no better feeling! Does it concern you though that she was leaving the company? Did she not like her job? I think these are the types of questions you should ask her, if you feel comfortable doing that.

    But that is still incredible that you were not only able to get a promotion, but that you were also able to learn from such excellent mentors. That's something I try to do during my internship. Sounds like you're already making great progress in your professional career! Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katie! That's so awesome that you got promoted so early on. The employee who held the position above mine left in the middle of my internship as well, so my duties doubled after that. I didn't get to sit down and talk with her before she left, so it was really overwhelming at first to take on all her work plus the work I already completed. I also enjoyed it though too because it kept me busy and preoccupied rather than bored, and I rather be busy! It sounds like you are really learning a lot, which is great. Were you nervous at all when you found out you were getting the promotion? Good luck with the rest of your internship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that's like a dream come true! Internships are supposed to be the stepping stone to jobs, and that clearly happened for you. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete