Monday, July 7, 2014

Changing Perspectives

I’ve always known I wanted to work in film but I never really knew what part interested me the most. I wanted to test the waters in costumes and luckily I found a boss willing to let me figure it out on her team. I am incredibly lucky to have found an employer like Courtney because of the way she runs her department. I don’t know if I would have had the same respect and admiration for the costume department if I had not been able to witness an employer that truly loved what she did. On one occasion, Courtney took me to a thrift store to purchase socks. At first I was shocked that something as simple as socks got Courtney so excited but I quickly learned that every worn in sole or slight hole gave the socks a life and history that a new sock would never do. Something as small as Courtney’s appreciation for socks gave the costume world a new meaning for me. Every little detail matters, and I love that. Each article of clothing has the potential to write a character’s history and I had never fully appreciated exactly how much of an impact that can make. While costumes may not have been where I thought I would end up, I can definitely see it in my future.
Just a casual mink hat selfie. I try on everything.

2 comments:

  1. I love the bit about socks -- so funny that you've found that something as small as a sock can teach you a lesson! It's really interesting how working behind the scenes can change your perspective on watching movies -- that's how I feel about the news and newspapers now, after my internship! I like your mink hat! Hope you're having fun in Detroit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you are granted the freedom to explore in your internship; this is definitely fundamental to finding out exactly what interests you within the film world. Before my internship, I was told I would be in the Lifestyle department, so I didn't have much agency in choosing where I would be. Still, I am able to observe how the other departments function, and through that, I have realized I am quite interested in the VIP and Beauty departments.

    ReplyDelete