Monday, July 7, 2014

Overcoming Obstacles at ICM: Week 3

Due to the little structure at my internship, a large portion of the work I do is based off of me asking people what I can do for them. In order to make my internship even more valuable, I am aiming to make more rounds around the office, asking how I can help agents' assistants. This will make my time more well spent, and also will make sure that I am the best intern I can be! The main assistant that I interact with, Nadi, also recommends that I do this in order to best help the assistants, who are often too busy to seek me out.

When the Talent department does not have a job for me, I have been helping out the branding department by covering scripts for them, looking for opportunities for product placement, mostly Land Rover and Jaguar cars. I have really enjoyed helping out another department and seeing how it operates, and figure that I might as well expose myself to as much of the company as possible before I leave. Doing work for the branding department has also allowed me to form relationships with more people in the company, and gives me a more well rounded experience!


The biggest challenge I faced was when an assistant for an agent that I don't normally work with, asked me to do a task for her. I was to transfer updated scripts to multiple folders, as well as hand write the notes into the new folders. Because I had never done it before, and she gave me an extremely rushed and simplified explanation, I did not end up transferring some of the notes correctly. She was very frustrated because her boss is extremely demanding and wants everything immediately, so she had to re do some of the parts that I messed up on. I apologized and offered to re do it, but now I know that I should always ask questions when I run into confusion, because it is always better to ask questions and do it correctly than vice versa. I did have difficulty with some of the directions but didn't ask for clarification, because I did not want to seem inexperienced or confused. I definitely learned to always ask questions!

1 comment:

  1. It's a great idea that you're trying to make more rounds around the office and see what everyone else needs. That's the best way to make yourself invaluable!

    ReplyDelete