Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Week 4: Changing perspectives


When I first started looking for an internship, I applied everywhere that fit my criteria. I did not think about the cultural fit. However, now that I have had a couple of internships, I have had enough experience to understand that perhaps there is something to be said for finding a job that is the right “fit.” I have heard that by the time you die, you wil have spent more time with the people that you work with than those that you love. With that being said, you would think that people would be more concerned about liking the people that they work with. And even more, perhaps even being real friends with them. My internship experience has made it clear to me that enjoying the people you work with and finding a good “fit” socially in your job is a critical component in a successful professional career. The women in my office and on my team are friends. They have lunch together, go to happy hour together, and genuinely care about one another. With that being said, they are first and foremost coworkers. They have tasks and deadlines that must be met. However, they have found a unique balance between professionalism and friendship. This is something that I have heard of but have not seen in my own work experience. Now that I have seen that this can be a workplace reality, I will always use this as a my own threshold for success. I will strive to find a job that can offer me a similar experience. I believe that this type of coworker-friendship balance is beneficial for both personal and professional lives. It makes the 9-5 job bearable and even enjoyable. Furthermore, my generating important relationships in the workplace, it adds a level of investment in your success. You are no longer worker for “the man,” but you are working towards success for yourself and your friends that work by your side. I hope that one day I can find a job with this sort of personal-professional balance.

2 comments:

  1. That was very well said Sarah! I could not agree more with your post! I have a great relationship with my supervisor at my internship and it definitely helps the work day go by quicker! One can only hope that the career you are passionate about comes with colleagues who will also be life long friends:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's strange to think that you spend so much time with coworkers. The thing is, you don't get to pick them like your friends. Then again, I guess you don't get to pick your family either. How have you fit into the social construct of your work environment so far? You've been kind of vague.

    ReplyDelete