Thursday, July 24, 2014

Week 1: Environment/Initial Impressions


This summer I am interning in the private wealth management sector at Morgan Stanley. The culture of my office is extremely friendly and welcoming. Although one must dress in business attire every day and look presentable, everyone is pretty laid back. Employees must look presentable and well-dressed because they meet with clients and work in a sophisticated environment. While everyone is well behaved and speaks in a distinguished manner, all of my colleagues are very friendly and have made me feel welcome. I have four bosses, who all have different tasks for me to accomplish throughout the day.

My work environment is very intimate, and although I am not in the smaller office with my four bosses, I sit right outside on the main floor and have my own desk. This week, I am learning the basics of the business, and have been introduced to many people on the floor.

There are more men than women in my office, which is not surprising because the finance business is comprised mostly of men. However, male employees treat women with the same respect. While my office is not very diverse in race, there are individuals of many different ages, spanning from interns to young adults to older employees. However, everyone interacts with one another on an equal playing field, and my office is a very happy and enjoyable place to be in.

So far, I really enjoy my internship and look forward to the next few weeks and learning all about private wealth management.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that as a female and the minority in the business you still feel respect from the male employees, not all work environments are like that. Your job environment is similar to mine with a business attire dress code. I think that dressing in the business attire helps us not only look professional but act more professionally as well. Hope you continue to enjoy your internship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your office is so welcoming! My brother works in finance and has interned at some pretty tense places so its great that you are working somewhere with a great work environment.

    ReplyDelete