Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Changing Perspective

My preconceived notions when entering my summer internship have really been challenged. I have learned so much about community organizing and the way in which non-profit organizations can create positive change through empowering the community. The organization I am working with is located in Camden, NJ- notoriously known for its high crime rate and struggling economy. In high school, I volunteered in Camden every week and was the only one of my friends to really enter into the city fifteen minutes from our suburban town. I knew Center for Family Services did great things for the Camden community but what I have since realized is just how reciprocal that relationship is. Often times in communities like Camden, people come in with this mentality that the people of the city need "saving". While outside support is definitely appreciated and necessary, true change spurs directly from the community itself. Working in the Head Start office, I recently attended a meeting with the deputy director and two fathers who are very active in the community. These fathers organized a "Fatherhood Initiative" to help empower fathers of the students to take an active role in their children's lives. I hate to admit that prior to this meeting, I just assumed this initiative was proposed and executed from the Head Start staff directly. The truth is, however, that in order for the community to improve, its own members must be the leaders of the change. Since the parents at Head Start know and respect their fellow community members, they are more likely to feel comfortable taking part in the initiative. I am so happy to have had this experience to work with these amazing fathers and community leaders. Through their efforts, I reflect back on the mindset I entered the internship with and realize how it has altered since meeting this leaders. I am very thankful for my experiences within the Camden community this summer and know it has changed the way I will approach my future attempts for community organizing.

2 comments:

  1. Karly,

    A lot of your post reminded me of the situation in Detroit: being from the city I feel like many programs at UMich are all about "saving" Detroit, as if the city is in dire need of someone's assistance in order to survive. Obviously the people of Detroit appreciate the help, like you said of Camden, however there is a big difference between helping and making someone feel like a charity case. I really appreciated your perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your internship sounds like a really awesome experience. It seems like living outside the city made you appreciate your internship even more because you were able to make direct comparisons about your previous assumptions about the city and current, changed beliefs. You make a great point and I hope many other people have the opportunity to make the same realization you did.

    ReplyDelete