Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Week 3: Overcoming obstacles

One obstacle that has been the most challenging for me has been the work that is required on Excel. I did not have a lot of training or knowledge of Excel before my internship and I was not really aware of the amount of knowledge that would be required for the job. However, I was very honest about this with my employer. Nonetheless, I would be required to adapt. This process proved a bit more challenging that I had anticipated. When my supervisor would begin to explain an excel process, it occurred to me that there was a slim chance I would remember her instructions. So I took out my notebook and began writing down the instructions in shorthand. Before I knew it, I had pages and pages of instructions for different excel projects. This notebook soon became my own bible and weeks later when another new intern started, she asked to make copies of my notebook for her own use. I was happy to share.

In retrospect, my detailed notes highlights how little I knew at the start of my internship. However, they also serve as a physical representation of how much I have learned. I am also proud to have this notebook because it demonstrates my eagerness to learn. I carried my notebook around everywhere and although it may have made me look like “the intern,” it allowed me to absorb as much information as I could. I may still not be as excel-savvy as many of the other people in my office, I have the tools for me to learn. More importantly, I have developed an ability to learn tasks on the job. This knowledge and ability to learn on the job are tools that I can take with me no matter what job or function I am in.  

1 comment:

  1. When I was learning how to use a special computer program at my internship, I used a notebook just like you did. I think it shows that you were just trying to advocate for yourself, because otherwise you might have run into the problem where your supervisor explained everything and then later you couldn't complete the task because you didn't remember certain details. In my opinion, advocating for yourself is a very important skill and I'm sure your employer was pleased by you doing so!

    ReplyDelete