Thursday, July 17, 2014

Overcoming Obstacles at New You Magazine


Over the past month or so, I have really become comfortable at my internship and truly have enjoyed it more every day. One of the best parts is that I do learn something new every day in this type of career, and it is so interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes of a magazine. This past week, however, I have had more work than ever because the employee above me left. It seemed like everyone was throwing different tasks at me from every which way that they needed completed as soon as possible, so it was quite overwhelming. I took a breath and told myself that I know I will get everything done, so just relax and get going. I made a to-do list in my head based on the priority of the tasks, and double checked with certain co-workers whether it was okay that I completed the assignment a bit later knowing it was not high priority. At the same time though, I felt honored that they trusted me to fulfill these duties and saw me as an actual employee. One of my biggest fears going into the internship is whether I would actually have work to do since I did not want to be bored each day. Fortunately, most days I have so much work to do that it keeps me busy, and in my opinion, I rather be busy than not.

One new particular task I was assigned was handling all of the invoices for this issue of the magazine. It was so cool to see how many different payments are made. I then take the invoices and import them into an excel spreadsheet that is broken down by each page of the magazine and category. It’s complicated to explain, but basically I get to see how much each single page costs to make- everywhere from the makeup of the models, to the writer of the article, to the studio equipment, and stylists for that particular page. It was really interesting, and once completed, the total amount spent for the issue can be calculated.


Jenny McCarthy is on the cover of the latest issue of the magazine! It hits newsstands July 29!!! 

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree that having so many tasks thrown at you can be extremely overwhelming. On busier days at my internship, I am faced with a similar amount of requests and also make to-do lists; they are so helpful and really help you stay on track!

    ReplyDelete