Tuesday, July 1, 2014

First Impressions

Integrating into an office style can be a difficult process when first beginning an internship. Lucky for me, the environment at my internship is extremely laid back and welcoming. I am interning at a non-profit organization in Camden, New Jersey called Center for Family Services. Right now, I am located at the Promised Neighborhood Family Success Center where community members are able to come in for free computer time and various workshops. Since the whole goal of the site is to be welcoming to families in need, the "office" is set up like a house. This makes the environment much more casual than I was expecting. I have noticed that the other workers all dress nicely, though, and maintain a professional tone in their actions.  Everyone that works on the site seems to be very close; close enough that they can joke around and create a very comfortable working environment. I have been very fortunate in the friendliness of the staff. They have welcomed me into their office with open arms and I am finally starting to feel like I am part of the Promised Neighborhood employee family. The office is also a very diverse group of people. Every race is represented in the staff and there is even an employee who recently immigrated to the country from Ecuador. Working with such a diverse group has also been a great experience thus far. I am being exposed to cultures that are somewhat different from my own and yet we are all there for the same purpose: to help the people of Camden City. The first few days, I definitely felt awkward and unsure of how to interact with everyone at the office. Now I am feeling much more comfortable in my routine and with my co-workers. Hopefully, it will get easier and easier as time goes on!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Karly! Seems like you have been welcomed into a very friendly environment. I think it’s awesome that you guys have created such a friendly environment for when the families come in to use the computers. It’s really interesting that you guys dress professionally, while simultaneously trying so hard to make sure the families feel like they are in a home-resembling environment. Can’t wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Awesome Karly, so cool to here what you've been doing! I am so happy to hear you are working in a place that really helps the surrounding community and makes a difference. Glad you are adjusting well and are becoming more familiar with the staff and making some friends. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Karly, seems like you are having a great time and an easy transition into the internship!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your internship seems extremely interesting! It is so nice that you are working in such a welcoming environment!

    ReplyDelete