Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Colleagues


My internship has proven to be a learning course for me. Some of my colleagues here acted like guides, especially the chairman and the analyst here at the office. They have taught me how the magazine works in terms of its aims and history and they essentially demonstrate the nature of the company and its publications. Since I haven’t been used to that much of data analysis in my writing, they have also been very important in showing me how to do this efficiently.   


The chairman here has also showed me how to balance the attention given to conferences with that given to publications. Though my position didn't directly involve preparation of conferences, I have gained insight into their organization as well as how they are ran. The head of the conferences in the company has been really helpful in this sense, giving me some direction during the event. For instance at times when there wasn't much to do, she assigned me a task such as assisting one of the attendees by answering questions, which helped me sharpen my communication skills.

My colleagues here have essentially told me that the important thing in doing well in this job is keeping up with what is going on in the industry and understanding how it is related with external economic developments. In this regard the president especially has also helped me understand the shipping business better and this is part of what I admire in him and the rest of the staff: their thorough knowledge of this industry as well as a full grasp of its technical details. I hope to be able to follow this example in the future in anything I do regardless if it is in another line of work. 

1 comment:

  1. Anastassios-- that is awesome that your coworkers are giving you tasks that are really helping you grow as an employee. Hope that the internship went well!

    ReplyDelete