Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Week 1: Environment/Initial Impressions

On my very first day at my internship I struggled to decide what outfit to wear. My initial inclination was to wear something fashionable. However, my parents come from a different time and more conservative place. They argued that I am an intern in a corporate setting and I should dress the part. I couldn’t really argue with them because I had no experience in this regard. In the week prior, my supervisor had called me to touch base on my first week and make sure that I knew what to do on my first day. During that phone I had asked about the dress code and she didn’t really give me a straight answer. Consequently, I showed up in a business suit. This, I would soon realize was completely unnecessary. Everyone was dressed in cute casual outfits. Of course, my outfit screamed “new intern”.  Nonetheless, everyone was incredibly kind. I even received a compliment on my heels. If nothing else, that first day taught me that “corporate” setting mean different things depending on the industry.

The very next day I came to work in a maxi dress and wedges. While my parents were not necessarily supportive, I fit right in at work. Dress code is not always simple or straightforward. At my last internship, I was told to dress for the job you want, not the job you have. However, there is something to be said for dressing for the company. I have noticed that people at work dress more or less the same, regardless of their position at the company. Instead, the employees embrace the environment as a whole. I think that this represents a change in work culture in today’s society. Just because you are the bottom or at the top of the totem pole, does not dictate what someone should wear to work. Still, there is not a rulebook for workplace dress code. You must discover what is right for yourself and your company.

1 comment:

  1. I really think every intern has the "outfit-jitters" on the brink of their new job. I was in a similar situation and decided to play it safe like you did. After the first day at my internship, I realized how fashionable, yet casual I would be able to dress and I really enjoy the freedom to wear cute clothing, especially in sunny LA!

    ReplyDelete