Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Week 5 at CBS

My first year at the University of Michigan really shaped me as an individual. I did not realize this until I started my internship when I felt like I was part of the real world. There is a lot of pride in being a Michigan student. People respect you, they believe in you, and they are think very highly of you and your abilities. I do not feel underestimated because I am an unpaid student intern but instead I feel included. My co-workers ask for my opinion on set, I am invited to department meetings; I am responsible for putting together news segments, etc. Michigan has prepared me for this as I have had to learn how to stand out and how to be independent.


I am often asked, “Why would you ever go to Michigan from Southern California?” and my answer is always the same: “I wanted a school that was very well respected on the West Coast, on the East Coast, and every where in between. I wanted “college”, I wanted football games and Greek Life but I also wanted a prestigious university, a school that is respected academically. That is Michigan.” The first few times I answered this question and produced this answer I was impressed with myself and so were my coworkers. They looked at me in disbelief and said, “Wow. You are a smart girl and you knew exactly what you wanted. I underestimated you and I am extremely impressed.” Michigan has taught me how to stick out and how to make yourself noticeable in a large crowd.

The car we drive when we go out to the field. The car is equipped with all sorts of technology and we are even able to edit promos from the car and send them back to the studio.

This is the news room. All the stories, breaking news, reporters, and anchors go through here. This is the center of the station and it is always busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment