Thursday, July 31, 2014

Blog 4: Changing Perspectives

I always assumed that anyone who worked in a typical office building had a fairly boring, routine, 9-5 day. I also assumed that I would never be able to work a job like that in my entire life, simply because I would get too bored. This is one of the reasons HR interested me so much, there are many different industries where HR is necessary, therefore not only did it not have to take a job in a typical office setting, but when in a typical office setting there would be slightly more freedom and communication as HR deals with employee relations.
                In this internship, I do work in a typical office building, a typical 9-5 day, and I do not really get to deal much with employee relations, but more with employee data. However, my perception of boredom from a job similar to this could not have been more wrong. The atmosphere within my office is extremely friendly, comfortable, and fun. My HR duties mostly support the sales and marketing departments, and therefore there are many creative and outgoing people who work in offices surrounding mine. This also means the people with all the free TWC promotional goodies are just around the corner (free stuff is always a nice distraction and pick-me-up from my work).

                Experiencing all of this has helped change my perspective on an ordinary job. I have learned the importance of work relationships as well as the importance of the atmosphere and culture within a company/office. I no longer look down on a typical office job, and actually hope to get a job down the line similar to mine now, and eventually similar to my bosses. This experience has been nothing but beneficial in increasing my already thriving desire to work, specifically in HR. 

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to some degree to your time at the office. I think when we imagine ourselves we don't tend to consider the time we spend with our co-workers and that is what leads us to believe this type of job will be boring. You touched on the important factor of environment. I also liked your intro- nice way to get to your point.

    ReplyDelete