Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Post IV: Changing Perspectives

Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to sit in on a counseling session with Dr. Baird, one of the psychologists in the office. His client, an older woman, was nice enough to let me sit in on their 45-minute therapy session. It was fascinating to see Dr. Baird in his element as a therapist giving advice to the woman who was dealing with anxiety and stress in her personal life. Before this experience, I always imagined a therapy session as a counselor with a clip board jotting down notes as the client talked his/her ear off. This session was not at all like that. Dr. Baird was very real and personable toward his client. He would listen to her problems and offer advice with genuine concern, allowing his personality to show. After the session, Dr. Baird told me how he tries to always be genuine in a session because it allows the clients to open up and connect with him. I gained so much knowledge about the career of a therapist in just 45 minutes. My perspective has definitely changed from what I thought a therapy session really was.

Not only have I learned more about the private practice environment, but also about myself. I have learned that I am very good with people and enjoy giving advice. After working on the phones with client after client everyday, I have learned how to deal with them and how much I enjoy dealing with their problems. I was unsure about how the intake process would work for me because I thought that I didn't enjoy talking on the phones. Being an intake coordinator changed my perspective about myself, as I have learned that I am a very social person and I enjoy giving advice to those who need it.

This internship has been the perfect learning experience for me that I actually look forward to going to work everyday. Every day is different with new patients, new problems, and new tests to be scored. My expectation of this internship has definitely been exceeded.

1 comment:

  1. It is very cool that you were able to sit in on a private session and have that experience. I hope you enjoy the rest of your internship!

    ReplyDelete