Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Week 6: CEO for a Day

I really enjoy my internship and the work environment. There is very little that comes to mind when asked what I would like to change. However, there is one aspect of my day that I would like to change. If I were in charge for the day I would enforce a group lunch. On special occasions, our team would order in food and eat together. For example, for my Birthday I was given a number of menus to choose from and we all placed our order and ate as a team. Although it may not be reasonable to expect the company to pay for lunch every workday, I think that it would be very beneficial to encourage workers to sit together for even 30 minutes. I think that this experience would be useful for workplace moral and getting to know your co workers. I also think that this break during the day would be good for everyone’s mental health. It forces people to take a moment away from their desk and get their mind off their work.
While there are not many other aspects that I would change in my workplace, there are aspects of my workplace that I would encourage other companies to adopt. I believe that my company’s informal professionalism was a great environment for productivity and creativity. Everyone is very relaxed and it allows for the interns to feel welcome to ask questions. Furthermore, the environment has created a positive energy. I think that a lot of other companies could learn from this type of atmosphere in their workplace.

      

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! It truly is so beneficial to have all of the staff together, even if for a short amount of time. It helps ensure everyone knows what is going on throughout the company but also allows for people to make more connections and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great that you are enjoying your internship so much. I agree with you that working in an informal yet professional environment is a crucial factor to thriving in your internship. This environment is very beneficial because interns not only because you can feel free to ask questions, but it also makes the interns more willing to take a step back and try to complete difficult tasks without a constant fear of failure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of having group lunches is very intelligent to bring all employees together and get to know one another on a more personal level.

    ReplyDelete