Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Post 5: Looking Back/Overall Insight


If I had to recommend any one LSA class to a Michigan student, it would be English 229 with Tim Green. I do not deny that I have and will continue to learn immense amounts of information at Michigan, however, in terms of what is actually preparing me for the future, the professional writing course that I took this past semester is the one experience that I have benefitted from at my internship. I believe this course can benefit anyone at any internship or profession of any type. A lot of what I do all day at my internship is call in products and write e-mails to my supervisors, other MSLO employees, PR firms, and companies. Having taking this professional writing class, I felt so comfortable making phone calls and writing e-mails, and I never doubted that I was using the correct format or tone.

I have not really been too surprised or unprepared for any events or situations that I have encountered. I’ve maybe been pleasantly surprised by some of the perks that I have gotten out of my internship, but nothing has thrown me off too much. The one main thing that I have encountered at my job that I did not expect is the amount of responsibility that has been given to me. I really do not feel like an intern as much as I do an employee. I am given lists of items needed for photo-shoots, which I am then simply not even asked about until the day of the shoot. I am forwarded invitations to previews of fall and winter merchandise and must RSVP at my own convenience. Things like this make me feel incredibly capable and lucky to have had such a great learning experience at MSLO this summer.

On a wedding shoot last week, I was lucky enough that Sarah Potempa, the professional hair stylist, do my hair just for fun and post it on her Instagram.


You can all also enjoy/laugh at this beauty video of me putting false lashes on.


2 comments:

  1. Haley, it sounds like you are really enjoying your time at Martha Stewart and learning a ton. The picture and videos are so cool! I think you would be a great fit in the future here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Email etiquette is definitely essential at any job and it's so amazing how you are able to implement what you learned in your UM professional writing class. Excited to see more!

    ReplyDelete